The Zandvoort race track dates back to the 1930s. On June 3 1939, an international competition for race cars was organised for the first time in Dutch history. This involved a course through the streets of Zandvoort. The event attracted a couple of thousand visitors. That event was the reason that the mayor back then decided that there should be a permanent circuit. The dunes in the north of Zandvoort were chosen as the right location.
On 7 August 1948, the first race was held on the new permanent Zandvoort circuit. The race didn't count for the championships but it did attract a lot of Formula 1 drivers to Zandvoort. One year later, the event was organised under the name ''Grote prijs van Zandvoort''.